This was our fifty-second Courthouse in Texas to visit. That means we are at 20.5% of our goal with 79.5% left to go.
The 1883 Shackelford County courthouse was the first courthouse restored under the Texas Historical Commission’s Courthouse Preservation Program. It was rededicated on June 30, 2001. The architect, James Edward Flanders, designed eight or nine Second Empire style courthouses in Texas during the late 1800s, but the one in Shackelford County is the only one that remains.