This is our sixth County Courthouse to visit. We went to the current Courthouse (left) and the old Courthouse (right). That means we are at 2.4% of our goal with 97.6% left to go. That is two generations of MossoM in front of the Galaxie.
First settled in the 1840s, this region was a part of Kaufman County until 1873, when Rockwall County was created. With an area of 147 square miles, this is the smallest of Texas’ 254 counties. The county and city of Rockwall were named for an underground formation of rock discovered in the early 1850s. Crossed by the Missouri, Kansas & Texas Railroad, Rockwall county is an area of fertile farmland. The location here of the aluminum industry and the creation of Lake Ray Hubbard from the East Fork of the Trinity River diversified the local economy in recent years.
The new $37.2 million courthouse was completed in 2011 and dedicated on November 11, 2011. Designed by Brinkley Sargent Architects, the exterior is brick with stone details and the interior features terrazzo floors, granite wall paneling and mahogany ceiling paneling.