This was our fifty-sixth Courthouse in Texas to visit. That means we are at 22% of our goal with 78% left to go. They have a nice memorial for fallen solders of local people as well as a monument to honor the sacrifice of the civil war.
Mills County was formed in 1887, and citizens built a county jail in Goldthwaite the following year. In 1889, Goldthwaite was chosen county seat, and Oscar Ruffini designed the first courthouse; it served at this site from 1890 through 1912, when it was destroyed by fire. The county hired noted San Antonio architect Henry T. Phelps to design this courthouse, completed in 1913 by the Gordon-Jones Construction Company. Phelps chose the Classical Revival style for the three-story structure with basement, using a rectangular form, a central, ornamental pediment and fluted, engaged columns.
Mills County Courthouse, Goldthwaite