This was our thirty-fourth Courthouse in Texas to visit. That means we are at 13.4% of our goal with 86.6% left to go.
The first two courthouses burned, the second one in 1875. Granbury’s current three-story courthouse was built of Brazos limestone and has a lighted clock tower. It is a Second-Empire style design by W.C. Dodson. His influence can be seen on the Parker County courthouse in Weatherford.
The fifth courthouse on this site. It was erected from 1890 to 1891. This handsome building is a Texas version of the French second empire style. First courthouse (1867) was a 1-room log cabin housing county records, lawyers and land agents’ offices, and a mail station. It was succeeded by 3 stone structures. Contractors Moodie and Ellis and Architect W.C. Dodson built this native stone edifice. The clock tower, added after completion, was reinforced with steel in 1969.