This was our one hundred-thirty-eighth Courthouse in Texas to visit. That means we are at 54.3% of our goal with 45.7% left to go.
Date – 1919 Architect – W.R. Kaufman Style – Classical Revival Material – Brick
Originally named Mound Prairie, the community began life around 1850 on a 100 acre tract of land donated by David Hall Love when the location was chosen to be the county seat.
The first courthouse (of four) was constructed in 1852, and the others came in 1854-56, 1891-92, and 1919-21. In 1891 and again in 1918 Wortham and Teague both challenged Fairfield for the role of county seat but both lost to the established Fairfield.