This was our twenty-seventh Courthouse in Texas to visit. That means we are at 10.6% of our goal with 89.4% left to go.
The Texas Legislature created Camp County from the northern part of Upshur County in 1874, and voters chose Pittsburg as their county seat. The county built its first courthouse in 1881. As Pittsburg grew, the two-story brick edifice became too small for the county’s needs, and in 1928 commissioners hired the Paris, Texas architectural firm of Smith and Praeger to design a new house of justice. Contractors Wentzel and Wood received the contract for the construction, which was completed in December 1928. The Classical Revival courts building features a stepped parapet, flat arched windows, and Corinthian columns. Today, the courthouse remains a central part of life in Camp County.