This was our one hundred-fiftieth Courthouse in Texas to visit. That means we are at 59.1% of our goal with 40.9% left to go.
Waller County has had four courthouses
The first was known as “The Texas House” and was a rented frame building. The county paid $25 per month for the use of the structure. The first jail was a one room log cabin and was located on the square.
In 1877 the first brick courthouse was constructed and a new jail was built at the same time.
In 1892 this courthouse burned and was replaced by another brick building in 1894. This building stood until 1955.
A History of Waller County, published in 1973, stated that the 1894 structure “was torn down for a larger and even more attractive brick three-story building in 1955.”