This was our one hundred-sixty-fifth Courthouse in Texas to visit. That means we are at 65% of our goal with 35% left to go.
Completed in 1928, this structure replaced Uvalde County’s 1890 Courthouse. The Commissioner’s Court hired architect Henry T. Phelps, who had designed several other Texas courthouses, and prominent local builder M. H. Ryland to manage the construction project. The neo-classical style courthouse is the fifth for Uvalde County, which was created in 1856. Outstanding features include its cast stone segmental arches and Ionic porticoes at the entrances.