This was our sixty-ninth Courthouse in Texas to visit. That means we are at 27.2% of our goal with 72.8% left to go.
In early 1938, the Houston County commissioners court, with County Judge B. F. Bradley presiding, began making plans for construction of the county’s fifth courthouse. Built in 1939 with funds from the federal Public Works Administration, the building was designed by Houston County native Blum Hester and constructed by Eckert-Fair Construction Co. of Dallas. The Moderne style courthouse with Art Deco features is a reflection of popular architectural trends of the 1930s and remains a center of politics and government for the county’s citizens.